Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A Journey Begins

Famous words were spoken by Lao Tzu thousands of years ago..." A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step". Today I was inspired and so this blog is my first step of many that I will take over the next 81 days.

In exactly 82 days, I turn 40. Not a bad thing but just the opposite, a wonderful life marker, representing the places I have been and yet still to go. A few years ago on an earlier birthday, I bought the book by Wayne Dyer called, Change Your Thoughts- Change Your Life..Living the Wisdom of the Tao. I read most of the book and have picked it up numerous times over the years to open at whim to a chapter and notice which verse pops up, offering wisdom and inspiration for the day.

This morning, as I mentioned a moment ago, I was inspired... I was responding to a friends email and was sharing an irony about an article written today that was sharing scientific validation for teachings from the Tao thousands of years ago...sometimes science is slow to catch up... As I went for Wayne Dyers book to find the verse I was thinking of my little voice inside said, "practice the 81 verses of the Tao. Do a verse a day and write a blog about your experience. " Then my conscious brain said," hmm 81 verses, I wonder if that will take me up to my birthday?" I quickly went to the calendar, counted the days and you guessed it... If I begin today, I will complete verse and blog post 81 the day before my big 40.

So here I am, beginning my journey. This is my personal inspiration, I am not a taoist, in fact as far as religion goes, I classify myself as a spiritualist. I believe in the oneness of all and I celebrate the spiritual teachings from all of the great religious leaders from Christ to Buddah. The intention of this blog is not a religious position or preaching but rather one gals personal journey into a greater awareness of self and the wholeness that is life. If you feel inspired by what you read then please share your thoughts or pass the words along. If you feel extra inspired,go out and get a copy of Wayne's book and take the journey with me. I say, the more, the merrier!

Here we go...

Verse 1...Living the Mystery...
The tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal name.The Tao is both named and nameless. As nameless it is the origin of all things; as the named it is the mother of 10,000 things.
Ever desireless, one can see the mystery; ever desiring, one sees only the manifestations. And the mystery itself is a doorway to all understanding...

What spoke to me in this verse is the fact that I am often so focused on outcomes and on what I manifest, that I miss the wonder and the mystery. In my desire to manifest, I all too often miss the expansive doorways that offer even greater opportunities to experience more of what it is that I seek. Focus is good, but sometimes becomes to narrow. I will expand my focus to a wide lens and in so doing, expand my very awareness to all the wonder, the mystery, the nameless presence that animates and emanates all of everything.


Simple thoughts to practice today:
  • Expand the lens
  • Let go
  • Observe
  • Notice the mystery and the learnings it holds
Wayne Dyer suggests a few other elements but since this is my journey, I am going with what stands out to me in the verse and what it is that I need to understand on this day... Tomorrow I will follow up with letting go and allowing myself to observe the mystery to then move into Verse 2~

Namaste,
Melissa Grill-Petersen
Chief Transformational Officer

No comments:

Post a Comment